After watching class with Bill Reed, two things stuck out to me most. The first is how important technology is becoming in schools. He mentioned that when teachers are being interviewed, they are being asked about lessons involved with technology. If the teacher isn't familiar with these mathematical technologies, then their chances of being hired are slim. That made me realize how behind the curve I was until this class. Well, I suppose "behind the curve" isn't the best way of putting it because I'm technically not a teacher yet, but you get the idea. I wasn't aware of all the different programs that incorporate learning in mathematics. Until this class, I'd worked with Mathematica and Geometer's Sketchpad. I'm not too fond of Mathematica, so I was leaning towards GSP. I realize now how valuable this class is. Learning to use technology in the classroom is extremely important to further understanding and keep the students engaged.
The second point that stuck out to me was the frequency of technology in the classroom. I had the impression that to be a good teacher who uses technology, I needed to incorporate it in as many lessons as possible. When Mr. Reed mentioned that using it once every 2-3 weeks was sufficient, I was surprised. What he said makes sense though - if you do something too often, no matter how creative I think it is, the students will get bored of the same old thing. Technology should simply be another tool in my belt.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice response to the online session and how Mr. R made us aware of what and how to use technologies. It does not need to overshadow everything but is a tool, just like chalk.
ReplyDelete